Monday, April 30, 2012

A Better Mouse Trap



Over the weekend I saw this fabulous idea posted on Shelly Hickox's blog and couldn't wait to make one (or two) for myself.  SUCH FUN!! Yes they are made from mouse traps and rat traps.  As disgusting as that sounds, I think you will agree that they are pretty cute.  I thought it would be fun to enter this one in the Simon Says Stamp And Show for the theme of Anything Goes.

Using some great Tim Holtz Gears, Stamps, Trinkets, Light Bulbs, Paper Stack,Wings, Clock Parts and Distress Stain I let it go any way it took me.

After removing the stickers I removed some of the metal parts that were not needed.  That was easy to do using some wire cutters.  Next was stain and then decorating.  I used some of Ranger's new Glue & Seal to add the papers and stamped image. 

This was such a fast and easy project, I hope you will give it a try.  Go to Shelly's blog to see more wonderful  ideas and tips.



Since I had so much fun with the first one I decided to try a bigger one.  This time I used a rat trap.  I painted the trap with Wild Honey Distress Stain and then used some Steampunk Debutant Paper from Graphic 45.  I added some Tim Holtz Pen Nibs, a Book Plate, some corners and a Word Stick.  I printed my Grandmothers name "Emma" and added a couple pictures of her when she was a young girl.  When it was finished I added a stand on the back cut from the Tim Holt Small Easel Die.  Hope you have enjoyed my journey to "Build A Better Mouse Trap".

14 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! That shelley makes some cool stuff, doesn't she!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serious, what a wonderful mousetrap!! I am going to do one soon...loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them both, especially the one used as a picture holder! I've really got to pick up a couple traps and give it a go!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandy,

    I've seen Shelly's mousetraps and I loved them.
    Seeing yours and especially the second one, you convinced me to go shopping for these traps !
    What I love about the bigger one is first your use of colors ! I love the oranges and the images of graphic 45. Because it's bigger it can hold easier photos and with the easel die it can stand up !
    Great project !!!

    greetings from belgium
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. I love your art..your mouse traps rock!
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the bigger one also with your grandmother's pictures. So sweet. Both pieces are so well done. You did a great job using Tim's Things to decorate it. Thanks for sharing.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous, Sandy! I fell in love with Shelley's idea too and have a few mousetraps on my desk waiting for some attention. I think the larger size is probably a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I love your mousetraps! Really fabulous, I especially like the rat trap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous altered mouse traps, I love the clock with the wings combined with the steampunk gent. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, your mousetrap is really cool! I love it's steampunk look and all of the wonderful elements you've added to it!! It certainly doesn't look like a plain old mousetrap anymore! :) Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is cool, love it, such a great creation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love these! They really are better mouse traps!! : ) The colors and metal embellishments are fab!

    Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    For More Opportunities:
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
    *Like Simon Says Stamp on Facebook
    *Subscribe to Simon Says Stamp on YouTube
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Pinterest
    *Sign up for our Newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this really a mouse trap? I asked from myself when I saw your First mousetrap but latter on when I start reading your blog I got to know its really a mouse trap...Nice conversion of mouse trap into a wall clock,you really made me to go & shop for mouse trap.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.